Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Wim Hof Method : Week 7

Here is the seventh week of data, and my comments.

Summary:  This week wasn't really a week but closer to two weeks elapsed time as I was working over 70 weeks a week and had major root canal surgery during this two week period.  For the surgery, was forced by the doctor to take three days off as otherwise stitches would have ruptured. The other days were do to working most of day and night and no energy for cold.  The breath holds continued to be very good this. I did take a couple of dips in the ocean when on break from surgery as doctor said that would be fine.

Took 3 'days off' after first day because of the surgery (no breathing, push ups etc) and spent 8 minutes in ocean on one of the days:
January 25 (This was the first day for new person and he went 8 minutes)

Also, did a 'day off' between days 2 and 3 and did 10 minutes in ocean. No video, but would have been great if there was as it was big surf:
January 30 (Bob went 10 minutes on second day in ocean)

When I was in Las Vegas, the showers were way to 'warm'. Therefore, I ended up doing some long and cold ice baths.  These were 40 degree or less ice baths for 8 to 10 minutes.

The 5 minute horse stance was doable but very hard the first four days. Then got more comfortable but still challenging.

'Looking in rear view mirror' (after having completed program and seeing patterns) :  I was really started to get 'addicted' to the time in the ocean. The total cold immersion piece is very powerful, and causes you to completely focus.  Because of work, vacations, and the surgery, I had to take a lot of time off.  I think the 10 week program turned into a 15 week program for me.  Not sure how this effected the outcome, or messed with the progress on breath holds and sensitivity to cold. Since I knew when I traveled it be hard to get cold water, I attempted to really 'hit it hard' when I was not traveling.  I also did a lot of ice baths at 42 degrees or less for 6 to 10 minutes.

On first day, had something happen that never happened and has never happened since. For about a minute went into to meditate state and came out of it still holding my breath. I totally zoned out and forgot what I was doing. Very intense!! Had another person that just finished program say this happened to them, only once as well.

I noticed that when I ran in the cold my breath holds were not as natural and harder to hold my breath.

Breath holds:
DayRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4
11.302.102.122.15
21.251.462.142.12
31.221.562.012.12
41.201.462.022.00
51.301.542.032.02
61.101.402.021.45
71.001.201.401.50

Push ups:
DayNumber
145
22.05 (additional breath hold)
32.06 (additional breath hold)
440
540
643
743

DayNotes
1Round two, first time, zoned out and forgot I was holding my breath!!!! For about a minute went into to meditate state and came out of it still holding my breath. Felt slight burning and coldness in lungs.
2Breathing Blacked out for about 20 seconds (different then when day one when forgot was holding my breath) after 4th round.  4 rounds in shower with 3 at 1.20 minutes, and one at 1 minute. 5 minute cold shower in morning as well.
3Cold shower in morning and then shower in evening with breath holds. Did four breath holds at 1.30, 1.30, 1, and 1 minute in evening shower. 
4Did the routine the first thing in the morning and had a hard time getting going. Push ups were hard. I did not sleep well the night before and had grinder my teeth so had a headache. Did an ice bath at 42 degrees for 12 minutes with breath holds of 1.20, 2, 1.20 and 1.30 minutes.  These were some of my longest cold bath breath holds. Did ice bath as in Las Vegas and shower was over 60 degrees. Had to fill tub with about 10 bags of ice to get to 42 degrees. 
540 degree ice bath at 8 minutes with breath holds of 1, 2, and 1.30 minutes.  Morning so push ups not as good.
639 degree ice bath for 9 minutes with 1, 1.30, 1 and 1.30 minute breath holds. Breath holding not as natural/easy today. Stretching was great.
747 degree Back in NH so ran 8 miles with no shirt, hat, or gloves at 37 degrees.  10 minute cold shower breath holds of 30,40, 60 and 60 seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment