Saturday, April 9, 2016

Wim Hof Method : Week 8

Here is data and my comments for week 8.

Summary:  I have two friends you will see in the video that join me on the dips in the ocean, Bob and Dave. The interesting thing is that neither of them have done any cold showers and do not do the breath or mediation. For them, it is all about shear determination and will power. Not sure if this is good or they are getting the same benefits, but I find it even more impressive that they can get in the ocean for 10 minutes at 42 degrees without any preparation/training.

A couple things I did this week that I thought would have never been possible:
1. Run -  5K run in 23 degree weather with windchill at 7 degrees. Only shorts and running shoes.
2. Horse stance in snow - 10 minute 'horse stance' in snow in 17 degree weather with windchill at around -2.
Seriously think if someone told I would be able to do this when started the program I would have thought them insane.

'Looking in rear view mirror' (after having completed program and seeing patterns) :  In looking at Wim's notes for this week, it indicates you should do a 10 to 20 second bath or outside water. Interestingly I had already done 5 ice baths for 8-12 minutes at 39 to 42 degree water, and 7 times in ocean at temps between 42 and 49 for 3 to 10 minutes.

The first times getting into the ice bath or ocean were not so 'inviting' or easy. I definitely did not want to get into the ice baths, and my hands and feet stung very, very badly when first putting them into ice bath water or the ocean. I can remember the first time putting my hands into the ocean.  I wanted to take them out immediately.  However, I left them in and after about a minute they went numb and felt fine (or I could not really feel them). I also remember the leather feeling my skin had the first few times staying in for over five minutes.

I also remember shaking uncontrollably for a long time after. If it was not for my hot tub, I don't think going in the ocean would have been possible. However, as you can see in the video of the video of my friends and I in the hot tub are hands stung so bad and bodies felt cool in a 104 degree hot tub. The times I was traveling and did the ice baths in hotel room, I took a long hot shower after. Even after the shower I would shake for a good hour or more.

I did a few more runs this week bare chested (of course, no hat or gloves). Definitely but your thumb inside your palm and cover with your fingers. This does an amazing job of keeping your

Breath holds:
DayRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4
11.281.321.451.40
21.161.381.511.56
31.251.401.511.55
41.301.502.012.01
51.051.351.451.51
61.211.361.512.02
71.101.351.521.54

Push ups:
DayNumber
142
240
340
445
540
646
742

DayNotes
1I did the horse stand for 10 minutes in snow at 39 degrees outside. I also did a combination of 5 minutes in ocean, 10 minute walk, 1 minute in ocean, 10 minute walk and then another 1 minute in ocean. This was an interesting routine, but we felt that it was 39 degrees out and be a good day to walk the beach.  Here is video from that day, including reaction in hot tub after:
February 7 (getting in)
February 7 (in water)
February 7 (post water analysis)
February 7 (in hot tub after)
240 seconds, 1min, 1 min, and 1 min breath holds in cold shower 8 minutes (43 degrees).   Not that cold when got out of shower.  Breath holds out of shower not all that good.
3Breath holds still not feeling 'right'. Feels difficult.  Did 9 minute cold shower at 43 degrees (temp of shower in NYC) with breath holds of : 40 sec, 1 min, 1 min and 1 min.  It was challenging to do the 1 minute breath hold in the shower. Needed a 5 minute hot shower after as felt very cold after the 9 minute cold shower.
45k run today with shorts and running shoes only at 23 degrees with wind chill 7 degrees. My coldest temp to run in to date (did this on 'day off'). My actually day 4 was a 45 degree 5 minute shower in the morning. Did an 11 minute shower at night in 45 degree water in NYC with breath holds of 40 sec, 1 min, 1 min, 1 min, and 1 min; did five breath holds in shower today.  Breathing back to where it was week 6. 
5No swimming today:( Just did 10 minutes of 'horse stance' in snow for 10 mins at 17 degrees with windchill around -2 (even colder then yesterday). Who would have thought possible. Now time for warm up with 10 min cold shower with four cycles of 1 minute breath hold in 46 degree shower.
639 A lot of tingling during the forth breath hold, also felt light headed.  Push ups felt very good. 5 mile run in 21 degree weather with windchill at 17 (shoes and shorts only).  Shower was 6 minutes with holds of 30 seconds, 1 min, and 1 min.
710 minute cold shower with holds of 40 seconds, 1 min, 1 min, and 1 min. Cold after shower today.

No comments:

Post a Comment